4 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen peaches
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
10 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups milk or peach nectar
3 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon peach extract or flavoring
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ground pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons cold butter
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the peaches in a bowl and cover with 1/2 cup of the sugar. Mix
thoroughly. Allow the peaches to sit for 1 hour.
3. Using an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle, cream the butter and
remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until smooth and pale in color, about 3 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. In a
mixing bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups of the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and alternately fold in the milk and flour
mixture, being careful not to over mix. Fold in the peaches. Spoon 1/4 cup
of the filling into each prepared muffin cup.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining flour, brown sugar, pecans, and
cinnamon. Mix well. Add the butter. Using your hands, mix until the mixture
resembles coarse crumb like mixture. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the crumb
mixture over each muffin cup.
5. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden
brown. Serve warm with butter.